William Todd was born in 1872 at Archer’s Fork. He died June 9, 1939. He married
Nina E. Heintzelman Deshler born 1876 and died in 1938. They had a foster son Floyd
Deshler, son of Arthur and Anna Deshler.
The Todd’s came back from East Liverpool, Ohio
to live in Newport
between 1911 and 1919. They lived in a house that is now owned by Alice
Binegar. Mr. Todd later built what is now the home of James Rouse. He had a
funeral home on Greene Street.
It was situated where Ed Brown and Raymond Hoff’s homes are now located. He
stored caskets in the Splinter Inn building.
Mr. Todd used 36 white Arabian horses for his funeral
business. He also had closed-in cabs for mourners and families, and a beautiful
fancy hearse with a driver seat high in front. All the horses and equipment
were sold at public auction.
William J. Todd Obituary:
William J. Todd 65, funeral and undertaker at Newport, son
of William and Julia Wells Todd born in Deucher in Independence Township on
February 25, 1874 and spent his earlier life in Independence Township.
He was engaged as an undertaker and funeral director for
about thirty-five years, for the greater part of the time at Newport. He was engaged in the business at
East Liverpool, for a number of years, returning to Newport in recent years.
He is survived by his wife, Nina B. Bacon, who he married at
in 1904 and four sisters, Elizabeth Alison, Hattie Todd, Dorothy Ellefritz, and
Hannah Todd. Floyd Dreshler was reared in the Todd home.