WILLIAM and ELIZABETH (COLMAN) HAYS moved from Pennsylvania to Newport about 1802.
William “Haze” is on the tax list of 1803. William Hays is also in the census
record of 1820 in Newport
and in Marietta Township in 1827 and 1830. They had ten children.
Their first son, JOHN, died young in 1830.
POLLY married Robert Rowland of Lower
LOUISA also died young.
VALARIAH was the first wife of William Flagg, and lived in Marietta Township.
CATHERINE married the widower, George Sherer, of Delaware County, Ohio.
WILLIAM married Caroline Guitteau, daughter of Maria Taylor
Guitteau Dana. Maria (pronounced Mariah) was first married Benjamin Guitteau,
and after he died, she married the widower, William Dana of Milltown. William
and Caroline Hays moved to Perry Co, IL with Caroline's sister, Jane and her
husband, Thomas Williams in 1854.
THOMAS Hays, the seventh child of William and Elizabeth
Hays, was a drover. He married Abigail Jones and moved first to Delaware County, Ohio,
then on to Decatur, Illinois.
Two sons, CALVIN and SYLVESTER died in infancy.
RICHARD, youngest son of William and Elizabeth hays, married
Maria (pronounced Mariah) Greene, daughter of Richard Greene and his first
wife, Rebecca Lawton Greene. They made their home in Newport, Ohio.
In the 1853 plat book of Newport, William R Hays owns 106 acres. I
believe this to be the two brothers, William and Richard Hays, as recorded in
another map of the 1850’s. The boundary of their land begins with the property
that belonged to Mary Ethel Hays in 1950. The land continued on both sides of Greene Street to
where Greene stops and Dana’s Run begins. This was the Haysville community. By
1875, Richard Hays owned the land on the left side of Greene Street. In that same year, the
land on the right side of Greene
Street belonged to Aaron Edgell; Pearce Carpenter
became the owner some time later, and in 1923, this one time Hays land is
purchased by Frank G Hays.
RICHARD HAYS married MARIA GREENE on May 15, 1844. They had four children:
Preston Greene Hays was born in Delaware Ohio
on July 28, 1845.
Harry Richard was born on September 26, 1852.
Ella Rebecca Hays was born December 18, 1854.
Myra Catherine was born on July 19, 1858.
4, 1867, Richard and Maria Greene Hays moved in their home, what we
know today as RoseGale. They were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, the Temperance Society in Newport,
and members of the Farmers Club.
In their old age grandsons, George H. Gale and Frank G. Hays
lived with the “old’ folks. George cared
for the home and Frank took care of the farm.
This was written of Maria Greene Hays at her death. “Mrs.
Hays was an exceptionally kind friend to all about her, and devoted to her
family. She was a member of the Methodist church for many years, a loving and
faithful Christian, a living example of true piety, and especially attached to
the church of her choice and religion.”
At their death, they willed their property to be divided among
their four heirs. Preston G Hays received the first section, the home and land
which, later, Preston’s daughter Mary Ethel
lived; Ella Hays McRae received the next section, Myra Hays Gale received the
home place and surrounding acres. Harry received the final section of land.
PRESTON GREENE HAYS married MARY LOUISE REA, daughter of
Samuel and Susanna Cole Rea, on November 18, 1869. They had four children;
Bertha Alice who married James A Cree,
Mildred Cole who married George H Bachelder,
Everett Rea Hays who died in the Spanish American War, and
Mary Ethel Hays, who became Newport’s much loved music teacher.
Preston served in the 148th
G, during the Civil War. He was elected Township Trustee in 1879 and as
Township Treasurer in 1879-1880. He was also a postmaster and part owner of
Hays and Rea of Milltown Forwarding and
Commission Merchants, and Dealers in Leaf-Tobacco. They also
stocked all kinds of goods for family use.
HARRY RICHARD HAYS married ELIZABETH HELENA AMIELIA GLASOW
on April 6, 1876.
They had two sons, Harry Raymond and Frank Glasow Hays. Harry Raymond attended Parkersburg Business School
and went on to New York
to finish his studies. He died in his 22nd year after a bout with
influenza, a well-beloved young man according to his obituary. Frank G Hays
married Lena R. Jones
Elizabeth Glasow Hays was known affectionately as Lizzie.
She traveled with her parents from Mecklinburg-Schwerin,
1857. Her father was a tailor in New Matamoras, Ohio. Harry was a farmer.
ELLA REBECCA HAYS married REV. THOMAS I. MCRA on August 23, 1887. Rev McRa
(as he spelled his name) was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He
twice filled the pulpit at Newport
Ohio. They had two sons: Rev.
Richard O McRae, also a ME minister and Donald Greene McRae, a teacher and
principal in Cleveland City Schools.
MYRA CATHERINE HAYS married DR. GEORGE T GALE on February 6, 1883. See more
about the Gale family on their Biography page.
FRANK GLASOW HAYS married LENA R JONES at Wheeling, West Virginia
on November 14, 1914.
They were the parents of seven children; Raymond, Hattie, Hallie, David,
Dorothy, Robert and Edith.
They purchased the Pearce Carpenter farm in 1923. This piece
of land had previously belonged to Frank’s grandfather and his great Uncle
William. Aaron Edgell had owned the land before Pearce Carpenter. It was Edgell who built the house for his wife. It was located on the right side of Greene Street across from the old home
place where Dr George T and Myra Gale then lived, his uncle and aunt. Beside
his farm, Frank also owned several oil enterprises. He was a teamster, hauling
pipe for various oil well owners with his team and wagon. He was a member of
the Farmer’s Club of New Matamoras while his mother lived. Frank was well
respected in the community.
Lena R Jones Hays was a newcomer to Newport. She was the daughter of Robert and
Hattie Beckwith Jones. Robert worked for an oil company and spent many years
recovering oil wells. They had lived many places in Pennsylvania, northeastern Ohio and northwestern West Virginia, and finally moving to the Newport area. Lena had worked in the pottery factory in East Liverpool Ohio.
After her parents moved to Bevan, the industrious Lena
opened a seamstress shop with a friend, renting a small shop in Newport.
When Frank met Lena, it was
this very industrious spirit that attracted him. Lena
would need this spirit for just twenty-one years into their marriage, Frank G.
Hays passed away from cancer on December 21. 1935. Leaving a young widow with a
farm and seven children, the oldest was seventeen, the youngest, just three. Lena spent the next thirty-one years in Newport raising her children alone. Lena was an avid reader, and in later life, her creative ability
found outlet in numerous quilts and in her paintings of landscapes and of
birds. Lena eventually sold the farm to the
railroad company which was expected to come through New Matamoras and Newport. (The railroad
never materialized.) The old farm house fell into decay and was eventually torn
down. Today a multitude of trees cover what was Grandma’s front yard and
Biography by Susy Wetz