Williams History of Washington County, Ohio
The Newport Presbyterian Church was organized in the village of Newport June 9,
1838, by Rev. Bennett Roberts, an Evangelist. The nine constituent
members were, David and Mary Murdock, John and Mary Greene, Jane Moreland,
Eleanor K. Cook, Mariah H. Bailey, Sarah E. Dana, and Ira H. Bosworth.
They held their meetings in the pioneer schoolhouse just north of Newport, and
after it was burned, meetings were held at the other schoolhouse and at the
Methodist and Baptist churches. The congregation was never strong. They
had occasional supplies from Marietta, but not until Rev. Henry Smith, D.D. president
of Marietta College, came did they have a stated supply. For fifteen
years he preached to this people twice a month. He was accustomed to
remark that his visits to the little flock in Newport were green spots in his
life. Certain it is no little church for miles around was favored with
the service of so talented a minister as was Dr. Smith. Rev. John Noble
also supplied the church.
In 1869 the presbytery of Athens formally dissolved [the] Newport church, and
the following were at their own request transferred to the Fourth Street
Presbyterian Church in Marietta: Eleanor Cook, Dr. J.H. McElhinney
and wife, Ira H. Bosworth and wife, Eleanor C. Bosworth, Augustus Leonard and
wife. Luther Edgerton, the only surviving elder, afterwards became a
member of the Fourth Street Church in Marietta.