GRIST AND SAW MILL
A small horse-power mill commenced to operate on the Ohio at the village of
Newport in 1855. The owner, John S. Moore, at first only ground feed for
his own horses, but gradually the operations became enlarged, and in 1859 he
erected a frame steam flouring mill, which was afterwards enlarged. In
1879, the Newport Mill Company bought the old mill, tore it down, and disposed
of the machinery.
The company was incorporated in July, 1879, with a capital stock of twelve
thousand dollars, in shares of one hundred dollars each. Victor Torner is
president, James Johnson secretary and treasurer, and John Hadley,
director. Individual members of the stock company were T.S. Hadley,
Richard Rea, and Dr. C.B. Gale. The company erected the mill building,
which is of frame and three story and basement structure, 56 X 50 feet in
dimensions. In the year 1887, the mill was remodeled with modern
improvements, such as the roller processes. The company contracted with
the Cooper Manufacturing Company of Mt. Vernon for a complete new process mill
of four run of buhrs. It manufactures two fine grades of flour for both
family and bakers use, the Electric Light and the Victor. The Electric
Light is a high grade, carefully mixed flour excelled for bread making
qualities, and is in the true sense of the term of high grade.
The Victor is also a high grade, carefully milled flour and is their
leader. It is in steady demand from not only local trade, but from
Another brand, the Globe, is a lower grade of flour, but is as the others in
great demand. The mill was completed and in operation on September 1,
1879, the total cost being ten thousand dollars.
Newport Milling Company has been since the date of its establishment, one of
the representative features in the milling interests of Washington
Mr. T.S. Hadley, the head miller, and Victor Torner, upon whom the management
of the mill mostly revolves, are both active business men. The production
of the plant is about 75 barrels per day, but the capacity of the plant is
about 100 barrels per day.
Mr. Madingly and Bill Travis worked there. Mr. Isaiah Hendricks bought
the mill and operated the mill at this location until the 1913 flood when the
machinery was ruined. He tore the building down in 1934 and rebuilt on
Dye Street, where he started a feed store. Rhoda Hendricks, his wife, ran
the feed store while Mr. Hendricks started a saw mill, located on the site of
the flour mill. In later years he moved the saw mill to Archer’s Fork,
Todd home place. He continued working in the lumber until his health
In 1947, Newport Lumber and Coal Co. was started in the building by Mr.
Hendricks children, Ralph and Freda. The business was started on a small
scale, as the business grew remodeling and improvements were done on the old