THE GEORGE WASHINGTON CAMP - It was the former Newell’s Run school house. George Swain bought the property from Michael Barnhouse. Ray and Katherine Perrine rented the business from George in 1937. Two years later they bought the property.
Ray started a garage and 24-hour wrecking service. Bob and Mildred Cochran leased the tavern from 1949 until 1963. After Ray’s death in 1974, Katherine sold the property to Cliff Longnecker in May of 1976.
ROB’S CARRY OUT - Roland E. and Mildred Beaver Cochran came to Newport in 1949 and ran the George Washington Camp that they leased from Ray and Kathryn Perrine. They started the carry-out in 1955. Rob’s brother Ralph ran this business for them. After Rob died in 1963, Mildred gave up the lease and moved up to live at the apartment.
She sold the property in 1973 when the new bridge was built and moved to Reno, Ohio, in 1974.