Home 1st Families Greene Reunion Newport Cemetery Cemeteries Census, Rolls & Lists Family Memoirs More Memoirs Memories Letters News More News Obits Postal History Business Doctors Fire Dept 4th of July River News On the River GreeneLine Steamers Ferries & Bridges Beavertown Churches Education Sports Genealogy 1 Genealogy 2 Genealogy 3 Genealogy 4 Military Military Photos 1 Military Photos 2 Military Photos 3 Military Photos 4 Homes Greene Reunion Photos of Newport Families Family Photos e-mail me

Pool Hall



By Rose Marie Hays

            Dad’s mother died when he was 13, and his father died when he was 17.  His story to me was that after his parents died he had it pretty rough.  He had a half brother on his mother’s side who came in for part of the house his parents owned, and if it hadn’t been for Bill Greenwood’s father he would have lost everything.  He went to work for Hiram Carpenter when they were building the St. Mary’s Bridge.  Hiram ran the ferry boat and taught Dad to pilot the ferry. 

            He married when he was nineteen to Lenora Rolston.  He was a very tender-hearted person and felt the boys in town needed a place to enjoy themselves, so he built his first pool room.  There was a service station owned by John Eddy where IGA is now, behind the station was a house.  I don’t know if he bought the house or not but remember living there.  He built a small building back of it and had two tables.  I remember Norman Wallace and Albert Berga racking balls after school.  He didn’t have it very long.  He got steady work on the river and didn’t have time to run it.  Mr. Carpenter worked Dad for several years. 

            Later Dad went to work for Dravo Corporation at Pittsburgh.  He took a test and got his pilots license.  Later he worked for Atlas Towing Co.  I got to go one summer on the boat as mother took a job as cook for the summer.  He retired after about 35 years. 

            He then bought the old post office building from Mr. Gano and made it into a pool room.  He ran this a few years until he moved on account of a flood.  He then made it into two apartments.  June and Junior Harris lived in one, and Ruth and Ed Pryor lived in the other. 

            He later made it back into a pool room and a small lunch room.  Mother wanted to serve just sandwiches, but when I went to work for her, I started having a special dinner every day.  The business grew, and Dad decided to buy Cale Davis’s house.  He had it torn down and built the block building that stands today.  He had three tables in it and enlarged the restaurant. 

            My parents ran that for several years.  Mother passed away in 1966, and Dad ran the business until his death in 1968.