DR. JOHN EUGENE
RUPERT, D. O.
Dr. John E. Rupert with his wife, Thelma Boyer
Rupert came into the Ohio
Valley area in 1951 and
began his medical practice in St.
Marys, West Virginia.
John E. Rupert is a descendant of the Huguenot Isaac
Deturk who came into Oley Valley,
Pennsylvania. Where some of the
Deturks still live on the old Daniel Boone property. The union of the Deturk,
Shakely and Rupert families came through their moving from Kutztown and Lancaster, Pennsylvania
to Venango and Clarion
Counties. John Eugene
Rupert was born in Butler, Pennsylvania on July 2, 1903 to Bertha Shakely and Duane Rupert.
He died in 1984 and is buried at East
Dr. Rupert attended WV University and was a graduate
from Western Reserve
University at Cleveland, Ohio,
with a B. S. degree. He received his D. O. degree at Kansas City College of
Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, Missouri
and came to West Virginia
to practice medicine.
Dr. Rupert was a member of the American Academy pf
Family Physicians, Honorary Life Member of the Ohio Osteopathic Association and
member of the Ninth District Academy; he was a 32nd Degree Mason,
Nemesis Temple Shriner, member of Marietta Shrine Club, and throughout the
years had been affiliated with the Kiwanis and Lions Club and several medical
groups and fraternities.
Thelma Boyer Rupert was born in Marion County.
WV to Bessie Caton and Clarence K. Boyer and descended from Colonel Edward
Dorsey, Judge Joshua Dorsey and Captain Edward Parrish all from Annapolis,
Maryland, and Jacob Boyer who settled in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a eventually
moved to Oakland, Maryland, and united with the Hinebaught family, then on to
Marion County, WV.
Thelma Boyer Rupert graduated from Fairmont State
Teachers College, Fairmont, WV.
With a B. A. Degree, and from University
of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
with a M. Ed. Degree. She taught at Spencerian
College in Cleveland, Ohio
and the University of Chicago, Illinois before coming to the Ohio Valley.
Mrs. Rupert was Regent and is an active member of
Marietta Chapter of DAR, Ohio DAC, Huguenots, S&DP, and Ohio Office Clubs.
She was the organizing president of the Edward Parrish Chapter in Marietta of
Colonial Dames 17th Century, is Honorary Ohio State President of that
organization, and is serving her 5th year as National Librarian
General of NSCDXVII Century with headquarters in Washington , D. C. She was a
member of the executive Board of Ohio, DAR as State Schools Chairman. State
Librarian, 12th year as National Vice Chairman of the Credentials
County, Thelma Rupert was
President of the ST. Mary’s Women’s Club, President of the Western District
WVFWC, ad State Recording Secretary of WVFWC, President of the Woman’s
Association of ST Mary’s Presbyterian Church and Ecumenical Secretary of State
Presbyterial, County Chairman
of Cancer Society, and was a substitute teacher.
In 1971, after 20 years of Practice in Pleasants County, WV., Dr. Rupert went into
semi-retirement and closed his office in St. Mary’s. He and Mrs. Rupert moved
to Newport, Ohio, where Mrs. Rupert still resides in
Newport Acres. They both are members of the Washington County Historical