From History of Washington
County, H. Z. Williams
Prior to the year 1800 George, the eldest son of William
Templeton, of “Burnt Cabins,” Pennsylvania,
immigrated to Ohio
and settled at the mouth of Eight-mile run, in the northwest part of Newport Township. From thence he removed to the
mouth of Newell’s Run, or on to the island opposite, and in 1825 moved to Lawrence Township where he died in 1850. He is
described as a tall, sedate man, who was never known to laugh, and yet no man
was more sociable. He was a prominent man in Lawrence Township
in which all his children are settled.
JOSEPH AND GRACE HOLDREN
Probable the next family that settled I Newport Township was
that of Joseph and Grace Holdren, who came from Pennsylvania in 1800, and located on the
present site of Newport.
Their house, which was of logs, was erected on the lot in the present village
upon which Frank Greenwood’s residence now stands. Mr. Holdren’s daughter,
Grace, married Thomas Ferguson of Newport
David McKibben came from Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1800, and settled in Newport Township, near the mouth of Eight-mile
Run. He lived on this place until his death. He married for his first wife
Elizabeth, daughter of Judge Sharp of Lawrence Township,
and after her death he married to Hulda Johnson. He was the father of eleven
children, none of whom reside in Newport
The father of James Nichols settled near Newport in 1800.
The next settlement was made in the northwestern corner of
the township on the Little Muskingum; when, in 1801, William Hill, Sr.,
emigrated from Pennsylvania
to this county and township, and entered land in section thirty-six, on the
east bank of the Muskingum. He built the first house in the neighborhood which
is now known by his name. He was the son of John Hill, a native of Ireland. He
married first Rhoda Stephenson, and after her death married Sarah Twiggs, who
died in 1833. By his first wife he had eight children, viz.; John, who married
Martha Ritchey and lived in Newport;
Mary who married John Greene [Jr.]; Elizabeth married Jasher Taylor, of
Marietta; James, died at aged eighteen; Margaret married Reuben McVey, who
lived nearby; Sarah, died aged twenty-two; William Hill , Jr., married Sarah
Amlen. He was born near Pittsburgh
in 1800, while his parents were detained on their journey to Ohio. He was a prominent man in Newport Township, where he resided until his
death, which occurred in 1853. He had twelve children. John T., a justice of
the peace at Hills post office, married Cynthia Carver. Jonathan A. married
Lucinda Reckard. William married Mary Ann Caywood, and resides near the old
homestead. Sarah married William Caywood, living just beyond the line in Lawrence Township. Charles became a Presbyterian minister;
and Maria married B. F. Twiggs, living on the homestead farm, where Mrs. Hill
Sr. still resides.
THOMAS FERGUSON was born in Loudoun County
Virginia, and in 1801
emigrated from Washington County,
Pennsylvania. He settled in Newport Township, about a mile and a half above
the village, on the Ohio River just below what
is known as Ferguson’s
landing. By his wife, Grace Holdren, he had thirteen children, ten of whom
became men and women, and seven of whom are still living, four being in this
township, and three in Independence
Township. Lucy married
Jeremiah and Mary married Ira Bosworth. Bazil and James live near Ferguson’s landing.
COLONET EBENEZER BATTELLE, and his son, CAPTAIN EBENEZER
BATTELLE came to the upper settlement in 1802, locating on the land which
Captain Battelle afterwards laid out the village of Newport. The ground was
soon cleared for the erection of the family residence, which is still standing
– the oldest if not the first house in the village. It was built two stories
high, of hewed logs, and at that early day was considered quite a palatial
residence. Colonel Battelle died here in 1815, and his son continued to hold
the old house, which was afterwards the property of his son, also named
Ebenezer. It is now owned by Captain Jack Harrison. The Battelles were very
important factors in the early growth of the settlement.
Colonel Battelle, only son of Ebenezer Battelle, of Dedham. Massachusetts, graduated at Harvard college,
at Cambridge, Massachusetts, engaged in business in Boston, and was there
married to Miss Ann Durant.
1788, he set out on the journey to Marietta, arriving there after six weeks
toilsome journeying. In 1789, he removed to Belpre, and afterwards, as above
narrated, came to Newport,
where he ended his days. His son, Captain Battelle, married Mary, the daughter
of John Greene. They reared a family of six children. The eldest, Cornelius,
became a Methodist Minister. He married Elizabeth Greene, and now resides at Zanesville. Phoebe married
Mr. Browning. Thomas had attained distinction in California. Gordon became a Methodist
minister, and died in the army as a chaplain of a West Virginia regiment. He was very active
in the work of securing a State constitution for West Virginia. Ebenezer, the fourth son,
married Julia Barker, the daughter of Judge Joseph Barker, of Lower
Newport. At present he resides at Newark, Ohio.
He was the founder of Newport
Village. Andrew married
Elizabeth Barker and resides at Bellaire.
SAMUEL BELL, born in Ireland about 1780, immigrated to Brownsville, Pennsylvania,
and from there to Marietta
in 1800. He settled in Newport
Township in the
southwestern part, and at the time of his death in 1848 he was the owner of
eleven hundred acres of Land. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. His wife,
Mary Lyons, was born in 1790 and died in 1840.They had twelve children, of whom
five survive, viz: Samuel, Joseph, Nathan, Hiram, and William.
NATHAN BELL was born in 1811. His first wife, Adaline
Reckard, lived about eight years after her marriage. Three children were born
of the first union. By his second wife, Maria Broome, born in 1827, he had
WILLIAM PLUMMER settled in this county in 1804, having
emigrated from Pennsylvania,
where in 1799, his son, John M., was born. The latter, in his early manhood,
constructed a flat-boat of his own, and for five years followed the river,
making trips to New Orleans,
and various other points. He married Jane H. Fulton, who was born in 1804 and
died in 1871. Five of their six children are living, viz: William F., in Iowa; John A., in Marietta; Happy F., at
home; Eliza, and Charles S., at home. Mr. Plummer had a beautiful farm of two
hundred acres, which was a dense forest when he came to it; but by hard work
and honest toil it had been converted into one of the finest homes in Washington County.
Among the earliest settlers in the township were the
children of THOMAS and MARY ANN REYNOLDS, who emigrated from Maryland and settled opposite Newport Township, in West Virginia. All of their children, but
one settled in Newport.
John and Samuel settled near Ferguson’s
landing in 1805. The former died in 1877, leaving a widow and three children
who reside in the neighborhood. John had eight children, three of whom live in
the neighborhood. He enjoys the proud distinction of bring the sole survivor of
the soldiers of the War of 1812 who went from this township. Margaret married
Jacob Seevers, of Newport.
The other children were James E., Nancy, George, Rebecca, Daniel and Thomas.
The latter settled at Lower Newport.
DANIEL S. REYNOLDS, son of Thomas Reynolds, was born in
1819, in section twenty-four of this township. By his wife Elizabeth Gill, he
has had nine children, four of whom survive. He is a cooper by trade and has a
farm of seventy-eight acres. He served four years - from 1861 to 1864 – in the
Thirty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.