From: 1972 Newspaper
TOWN PUMP GETS SPRUCED UP
of Newport is one of the
oldest in the Northwest Territory, and
although most of its early landmarks have succumbed to old age, one, the town
Garden Club, as an ecological
and civic beautification project, has decided to make the town pump and its
surrounding area an honored place in the village.
early history, the businesses and homes were originally situated right along
the banks of the Ohio River. Research
indicates that the original town pump was a hand dug well and located in the
center of the street, near the large elm tree which still stands.
The present town pump is a drilled well, 75 to 90 feet deep,
and although it cannot be definitely determined, memories indicate it is more
than 100 years old.
Norris Torner recalled that around 1870, his mother, who was
born in 1863, frequently stayed at the Saranus Wood Hotel, Located at the
present site of Abicht’s Market facing County Rd. 25, so that she could attend
school during bad weather. The pump was there in those days.
Over the years, the hotel changed hands and names many times,
but the town pump remained.
To preserve this early landmark, Frontier Garden Club has
had help from many people in the community.
Volunteer workers have included John Herlan, Bill Hurte, Bob
Rouse, Will Schneider, Lyle Poynter, Charles Bartug, and Ralph Martin. Help was
also received from the Washington County Highway Department and the Newport
Donations were received from Abicht’s Market, Sun Oil Co.,
Howard Pryor, and Mr. and Mrs. Dwight Sanford.