TO CELEBRATE ANNIVERSARY
of Newport will celebrate
the 140th anniversary of the coming of the first settlers to Newport with a homecoming
event that will begin at noon
on Sunday, July 3, when a community dinner will be served at the Greene Tavern.
Former residents of Newport
and out-of-town friends are expected and the occasion is planned to bring
together old friends and for renewal of friendship and acquaintances.
of antiques assembled from homes of the Newport
community will be on display at the Greene Tavern and a committee of hostesses
will be in charge to welcome all who wish to see the display.
On Sunday at 7:30 p.m. there will be a union service at the
Methodist Church. Rev. R. O. McRae of the Edwin Ray
Church of Indianapolis, Ind., will be the principal speaker. He is a descendant
of a pioneer family of Newport.
Special music will be a feature of the program to be given under he direction
of Miss. Ethel Hays. During this service, Misses Betsey Dana, Betsey Greene,
Mary Gale, Betty Hood, Francis Riddle, Hattie Hays and Margaret Single will pay
tribute to the memory of early families of Newport including the Danas, Greenes,
Battelles and others, and will also speak of the early churches and schools and
A very interesting
program is arranged for July 4 when plans for social gatherings have been prepared.
They are expected to be more enjoyable than the traditional Newport Picnics of
Settled in 1798
Newport had its beginning 10 years after
settlement. At the regular meeting of the Court of Quarter Sessions in Marietta
in 1798, a distinct township, “All that territory lying east of the western
boundary of the Seventh Range,” was set apart and named Newport Township. This
included what is now the eastern third of Washington. Six townships, including Newport Township, were within its original
and the Greenes share the honor of having made the first settlement in what is Newport. Both came in the
same year, 1798. William and Luther secured a large tract of land, and erected the
first log houses. The brothers were sons of Captain William Dana, Revolutionary
War soldier, who settled in Belpre.
William Dana placed
his cabin near what is now called Milltown, where he built the first mill.
Luther Dana built his house on a part of the farm that is now the Adkins home,
just above Newport
Moved From Belpre
[John] Greene and his family
came to Newport
about the same time. Greene built his log house on what is now the Greenwood farm. The
Greene family lived previously at Belpre. Daniel Greene built the first brick
house in Newport
and one of the first in the Ohio
Valley, in 1808. The
house had been in the Greenwood
family for several generations. It is now the home of Mrs. Carrie Greene
Greenwood, widow of Junius Greenwood, and their son William C. Greenwood.
among the early families of Newport,
several of which were connected with the original pioneer families of Marietta, were the
Battelles, the James B. Greene family, the Adkins family, the Christopher
Greene family, the Holdrens, the Woods, the Haskells, the Fergusons, the Kerrs,
the Littles, the Barkers, the Crees, the Gales, McElHinneys, Reas, and Ganos.